Vive la révolution!


What a great frame for the discussion! Evolution and revolution. I agree: much of life is slowly laying down stones, and then there are golden moments and decisions that can shape the entire castle. Both are important: if you spend your life waiting for the time of revolution, you may find it never comes and you never achieve much, as Bernie Sanders may now be learning. If you don’t seize the moments when revolution is possible, you miss out on huge opportunities for growth and impact.

The other thing your frame suggests is that moments of crisis are also moments of opportunity. They are moments to examine our lives, rethink, and if we wish start a revolution. It is too easy to get stuck in our routines, even good ones, and stagnate. Part of what makes us alive is change: slow evolution, even in the right direction, can be stultifying. 

As for me, when I face crises I lean on the Stoics. I try to remind myself that what matters is the choices I make: I cannot always control what happens, but I can always control my choices, and if I have done my best then I should not worry about what happens. The other side of that coin is that it means I also need to always try to do my best, to do the right thing: if I do less than that, then I have failed, whether it works out or not. When bad things happen, all I can do is accept that they have happened, and do my best from there. 

Like your moments, in that insight is often clarity: a simplified, stripped-down world where it is easier to focus on what is important and ignore the rest. What the worst hits, all I can do is seek to do the right thing, and that lens frequently makes it clear what I should do. Even when it doesn’t—when it isn’t clear what the right thing is—all I can do is my best. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong, as I often am. 

What I like about the evolution-revolution mental model, though, is that I think it applies to a lot of systems. Sports teams, businesses, countries, civilizations; they may spend much time at best in incremental improvement, sometimes just trying to hold the status quo, and then something provokes a revolution, or perhaps reveals the need for one. War, coronavirus, the departure of a CEO, a crushing loss to the local rivals; all can spark that inflection point, that moment of reflection that leads to revolution. 

So here’s my question for you. I frequently try to change systems, as I suspect do you. If we take this insight and apply it to systems, does it mean we should wait for moments of crisis to try to start the revolution? Bide our time and wait? Or, should we try to push, to start a revolution ourselves? How can we even tell when the revolution is ripe?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pilgrim

Cultivation

Rara Avis