Parallels

Your thoughts mirror my own surprisingly closely. Despite building good habits, consolidating progress at work, and growing in my relationships, it still feels like I'm mostly going nowhere. Is it a paradox if we progress but don't feel like we're going anywhere? Does it mean that we aren't progressing in the directions which matter, even if we are on our goals? Which leads us back to the old chestnut, which directions matter in the end?

Perhaps it is due to the COVID-19 constraints, this fishbowl feeling of there being a limit to the progress we can make (despite our massive fortune in having professional and personal opportunities even still). Or perhaps it is just for lack of stimulation of the normal kind, changes in experiences which help imprint memories and thereby serve as the underlying rhythm of advancement. Perhaps we are progressing, but are simply lacking the contextual tools to measure it?

I think your idea of a more targeted blog is a good one. Maybe even one that is more external facing. I had been meaning to ask whether we'd like to revisit our purpose in this blog, to set a more targeted set of goals, but as ever you have anticipated me. Let's turn together toward that joint passion for personal progress and perhaps discuss (offline) what operational changes we might make to make this goal more concrete.

A final question, in the spirit of that next endeavour. You mentioned the oft-quoted adage that 1% daily progress leading to a doubling of capacity. While I admire the sentiment, I rarely feel that any of my progress is exponential. At everything I do, it feels like some kind of linear or low-degree polynomial growth. So, I'll toss it at you, do you think that sought-after exponential growth is truly possible? Put another way, as the derivative of an exponential is an exponential, do you believe that every day you are learning exponentially more than the previous one?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pilgrim

Cultivation

Rara Avis