Ex Machina

When you are training a reinforcement learning system, there are two broad approaches: value based and policy based. For value based, you try to get the system to understand the value of each action in each state so that it has a running estimate of "how well it's doing". For policy based, you simply ask the machine at each point in time how it could do better, but don't expect it to be able to evaluate how well it's doing in any absolute sense.

For the past few days, I've been debating which of these two methods I should adopt at present. I've been feeling a bit lost from a value perspective, I don't really know how well I'm doing in any absolute sense. However, I can see before me lots of directions for improvement. It's tempting therefore to take a policy based approach: "I don't know where I am, but I do know how to do a bit better". (Parenthetically, let's expand on the specific strategies we each use for this type of thinking in our new blog.)

Despite this, perhaps it's worthwhile to try from time to time to take a values based approach and take a bigger picture evaluation of where I am in my life. The question becomes, then, both in machine learning and in real life, what baseline should I use? Should I compare to a random person my age? A random person in the world now? A random person of roughly the same demographics? It's funny that, for machines, the baseline doesn't matter in evaluating your progress (adding a constant value to all states doesn't really change anything), but it does affect how you explore your next actions and how much risk you take on.

Ultimately, I don't know which of these two paths can bring me to enlightenment, or whether enlightenment should be seen as a terminal goal to achieve rather than a path among the set of paths to converge towards. For me, I think it starts with realizing that I have enough in this moment (choosing a humble baseline), every moment, until that is no longer true.

What about you? Is there a specific step you think you could take towards more enlightenment?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pilgrim

Cultivation

Rara Avis