Paths Up the Mountain

 In his TED talk, Shi Heng Yi tells the story of a man who wants to climb to the top of the mountain. In preparation, he asks travellers at the base which path they took and what they saw at the top. On learning of each path, the man finds some reason why that particular path might not work for him. Ultimately, he decides having heard all of their stories that he no longer needs to make the climb himself as he already knows what he'll find there.

In this parable, I see quite a few warnings to myself personally. I, too, often find it easier to survey the many approaches to an endeavour (particularly one as daunting as looking for enlightenment) than to actually undertake the arduous journey that might lead me to achieving it. Also, I often satisfy myself that by reading about the experiences of others I have a pretty good idea of what the end goal is and thus have not lost much in not jumping in.

It might be nice then, if we are to pursue this journey of self-improvement, to pick a path and jump in. Of course, this blog and the other are a step towards that, but I wonder if we might not also dive deeply into one of the existing approaches towards enlightenment and see what we might find walking that path ourselves. What do you think? Is there a particular path that you'd like us to start on and share stories along?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pilgrim

Cultivation

Rara Avis